Your child’s first visit to the dentist is an exciting milestone! They’re growing up! In most cases, you should bring them to see us around the time of their first birthday. By this time, they will typically have at least a couple of baby teeth, as they begin to grow around six months. However, some children don’t have teeth come in until 12 months of age, which is completely normal.
What to Expect
Visiting the dentist as soon as their baby teeth start coming in is an effective way to prevent childhood cavities and learn proper oral hygiene habits. The first dental visit near Douglasville, PA, is usually short and involves very little treatment.
It’s important to prepare your child the same way you would before their first haircut. To ease any anxiety (theirs or yours!), our office has an open-door policy, meaning parents are welcome to accompany their children in the treatment rooms.
What Will the Dentist Do?
In most cases, your child’s visit will include:
- A gentle examination of their teeth, mouth, and gums
- An evaluation of adverse habits, like thumb sucking
- Checking to see if they need fluoride treatments
- Education on cleaning their teeth and gums
- A suggested schedule for regular dental visits
Tips for a Smooth Visit
Going to a new location like a dental office might make your child feel anxious. To help them feel better about the appointment, you can try:
- Taking them for a tour of our Pottstown office
- Reading books about going to the dentist
- Sounding excited and speaking positively about the experience
Looking for a Caring Dentist for Your Child’s First Visit Near Phoenixville, PA?
Our team does everything possible to make you and your child feel at ease every step of the way. If it’s about time to bring your child in for their first trip to the dentist, contact us today to schedule an appointment.